Capturing Pelican Nebula

UPDATE (Dec 4, 2017)

Did a little bit of re processing to my old data and I was actually surprised of the result.  Compared to the images I got previously, this one is really good specially the colors.  This means that day by day my processing skills are getting better.


Pelican Nebula

My first try was about a week ago and capturing only 3 hours of data, 1 hour for Ha, 1 for S2 and 1 for O3.  Everything when fine but I was struggling with processing as I cannot get the gold come out.  I have done a series of good processing with the same data and the result was okay.  The the Elephant Trunk Nebula was a good example.  Another will be the Cygnus Wall and the Veil Nebula.

So last night I went to get more data and increasing it to 18 frames for the 3 narrowband channel with 300 seconds each.  The image above has a total of 30 frames per channel.  It turned out okay and learned a couple of things again in post processing in PixInsight and Photoshop.

Here are some of the detail including the telescope and camera I used.

  • Orion ED80T-CF
  • ZWO ASI 1600MM-Cool
  • ZWO EFW
  • Orion Narrowband Filters
  • Celestron AVX Mount
  • Orion 80 ShortTube (Guiding)
  • Orion SSAG Camera (Guiding)
  • EQFocuser
  • Sequence Generator Pro
  • PHD2
  • Stellarium Scope + Stellarium
  • PixInsight 1.8
  • Photoshop CC2017

Also below are some of the initial version of the photo

Initial version of the Pelican Nebula

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.